According to officials, a Russian overnight strike on Ukraine has killed one person and injured 29 others.

 LONDON— The Ukrainian Air Force reported Saturday morning that Russia launched 45 missiles and 537 drones in "a huge strike" on Ukraine overnight.


Although the majority of the projectiles were intercepted by Ukraine's air defense systems, the air force reports that five missiles and twenty-four drones nevertheless hit seven places and that the wreckage of the downed projectiles fell in twenty-one spots.


The Zaporizhzhia Regional Military Administration reports that at least one person was murdered and 29 people, including three children, were injured in the southern area of the country. Authorities reported that the nocturnal attack destroyed over 40 homes and 14 apartment complexes and left almost 25,000 residents without electricity on Saturday morning.


The Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration reports that certain residents, companies, and infrastructure in the nearby area of Dnipropetrovsk were also affected.

In response to the attack, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy wrote on X that "strong actions against all those bankrolling the Russian army and effective sanctions against Moscow itself — banking and energy restrictions are the only option to reopen a window of opportunity for diplomacy."


"It is very evident that Moscow organized new, huge strikes during the time allotted for preparing a meeting at the leaders' level," he continued. "Political declarations will not end this war; actual action is required. We anticipate that the United States, Europe, and the rest of the globe will take action.


Early on Saturday, Ukraine reported that two Russian oil facilities had been hit by its forces.


Ukraine’s drone commander, Maj. Robert “Magyar” Brovdi, said the targets were the Syzran Refinery in the Samara Oblast, southeast of Moscow, and the Krasnodar Refinery in the Krasnodar Krai in southwest Russia.

The attack was also verified by the Armed Forces of Ukraine's General Staff, which also stated that the strikes' outcomes are still being determined.


Without mentioning any strikes on oil refineries, the Russian Ministry of Defense said its air defense systems shot down 86 Ukrainian drones late Friday into early Saturday, including 11 over Krasnodar Krai. The Samara Oblast was not mentioned by the ministry either, but Vyacheslav Fedorishchev, the region's leader, claimed that early on Saturday, drones had struck an industrial facility in Syzran.


Zelenskyy stated earlier this week that Ukraine is "depending on forceful moves" and called for pressure on Russia in the form of tariffs and sanctions. He called on countries that have shown support for Russia's stance, such as China and Hungary, to respond. He went on to say, "New, severe sanctions against Russia for all it is doing are clearly needed."


On August 30, 2025, during the Russian invasion of Ukraine, locals in Zaporizhzhia embrace one another in front of a destroyed residential structure after an airstrike. On August 30, 2025, authorities reported that a "major" nighttime Russian bombardment on central and southeastern Ukraine had killed at least one person, with residences andDisplay more

Getty Images/Marina Moiseyenko/AFP

"Dozens of diplomatic possibilities have already been ruined, and all deadlines have already been missed. Every hit, every day of this war, must make Russia feel accountable, Zelenskyy stated.


Although the attacks have been smaller in scope through August than they were in July and June, the most recent volley maintained the nightly pace of Russian strikes. According to Ukrainian air force data examined by ABC News, Russia has launched an average of about 118 drones and four missiles into Ukraine per day so far in August.


In June, there were 181 drones and eight missiles each day, while in July, the average was about 201 drones and six missiles per day.


This week, U.S. President Donald Trump bemoaned the strikes, which persist despite White House efforts to mediate a peace agreement, to Russian President Vladimir Putin.


Trump was "not happy about this news, but he was also not surprised," according to White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt.


The president is still keeping a close eye on this. The president wants the war to end because, regrettably, this killing will go on as long as it does," she remarked.

Comments